Wednesday 18 January 2012

The weekly shopping

Going grocery shopping without a list is like baking a cake without a recipe, you'll probably forget something. 



I've been known to wander aimlessly down the aisles trying to work out what nights we'll both be home early enough for dinner and which nights we should have a ready-meal. A baby in the house really changes things...

These days I make a meal plan. I need to know what I'm cooking and my evening plans have... let's just say life is pretty different :-)
I wish I had discovered this in my single days or in the pre-baby days because I'm saving a fortune. I do a quick list Monday to Sunday and mark any days we have plans to meet friends or family for dinner (factor it in if I'm hosting). Then I jot down a breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day. Transfer the ingredients to my shopping list, have a quick check to see if I need cleaning products, toiletries, nappies or loo roll and that's my grocery shopping list done. 


I only buy what's on the list and I'm never stuck for a meal. I don't have to throw away gone off food and more importantly I don't end up ringing a take-away in desparation when my tummy is grumbling and there is nothing to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment