Monday 30 January 2012

Holidays on a budget

As the plane touched down in Dublin I wasn't surprised to see that it was raining. I had the most fantastic week in the sun but on the bright side, at least I can get a decent cup of tea at home :-)

So, how come I've just been on holidays when I harp on about saving and budgeting? The key is planning in advance!



I've always taken my holidays during the summer months (peak season) but I'm now converted to holidaying off peak. I realise this won't work for everyone - I only have another three and a half years of it until my baby goes to school and I'm restricted to school holidays. However takling a holiday in January really suited me this year. Pros include:
Cheaper flights
Off peak rates on accommodation
Less queues for attractions - the Aquamarina in Lisbon is a must-see
Less people in general (easier for taking the baby swimming, to the park, to restaurants etc)
No sunburn - the weather was lovely and I was in a skirt and short sleeve top most days but I didn't have to worry about getting burnt.

The biggest money saving tip for any holiday is planning in advance. My other half loves researching holiday destinations so this is his job. He will go online and check out attractions, trains, buses, restaurants, accommodation and even beauty spas. This is a life saver as we can avoid anything overpriced and get the best value for money.

Another tip - if you like a particular brand of nappies then bring them with you as the brands we get here tend to be pricey abroad. I brought enough for two days as I knew I'd find a supermarket by then and I bought the local brand, they were great.

The Portugese have happy hour (in some cases this was over two house, 6-8 or 8-10 in some pubs). So if you don't have a baby in tow and fancy a night out then take advantage of this.

Remember, have a savings fund for holidays and try to put a fixed amount in each week or month. Then regardless of whether you plan months in advance or snap up a last minute deal the funds are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment